According to Wikipedia
Khairpur district (Urdu: خیر پور) is a district in the Sindh province of Pakistan. The district has an area of 15,910 square kilometres and is headquartered at the city of Khairpur.
According to the 1998 census of Pakistan, the district had a population of 1,546,587 of which 23.23% was urban. . The average annual growth rate of the population is 2.71%. As per definition of Board of Revenue Sindh, Place of human habitation having at least ten houses are called settlement. There are 1,709 rural settlements in the district having population of 200 to 1000+ souls.
Following are the demographic indicators of the district as per the 1998 census of Pakistan:History
Khairpur State was ruled by Mirs (ameers) of the Talpur dynasty from 1783 to 1955. In 1947, when Pakistan gained independence, Khairpur Mir's was one of the princely states that opted to join Pakistan. In 1955, the Government of Pakistan announced the abolition of all the princely states and Khairpur Mir's was annexed into the then province of West Pakistan.
Cities and Towns
Khairpur,Kotdiji, Kot Banglow, Kumb,Ranipur, Hingorja, Sagyoon, Gambat, Khuhra, Drib Mehar Shah, Tando Masti Khan, Ahmed Pur, Pir Ji Goth, Piryaloi, Babarloi, Therhi, Thari Mirwah, Mengho Fakir Shar, Bozdar Wada, Tali, Dubbi, Talpur Wada, Naseer Fakir Jalalani, Bago Daro, Jhango Wassan, Pakka Chang, Akri, Choondko, Deh sohu and many other towns and villages
Sites of Interest
Khairpur is dotted with historical sites. The Kot Diji Fort, said to be built by the Talpurs, stands on a high hill with massive walls surrounding an elaborate complex of exquisite homes, ornate canopies, marbled courtyards, promenades and long corridors with arched entryways. The corridors run along deep rooms which now lay dark and can get infested with bats. Another architectural classic is the Faiz Mahal, built in 1798 as the palace of the Talpur family in Khairpur Mirs. Besides, there are other palaces, tombsites in Kot Diji and the surrounding areas. The present successor of the Talpur Dynasty, Mir Ali Murad Khan Talpur, who acceded to the Pakistani state in 1956, is a conservationist and has to his credit an impressive wildlife sanctuary called the Mehrano, known for its black buck, and hog deer, both of which have become rare in Sindh.
The north-western part of Thar Desert lies in Khairpur district. Rohri Hills are a tourist attraction for the tombs of Pir Ubhan Shah near Kotdiji, Shadi Shaheed near Layari, Tehsil Kotdiji and Pir Baqir Shah near Choondko. Mehrano, Nara, Kalmi Quran, Thar Dhani and many other sites also draw tourist traffic.
Shah Abdul Latif University Khairpur is the only higher education institute in upper Sindh. Many colleges are affiliated with this university. It has many departments which are engaged in producing graduates and in research work.And also Govt: Superior Science College is Higher education in Upper Sindh
Naz High School, Khairpur, was established by the then ruler of Khairpur State at around the dawn of 20th century. In the 1950s a concrete, metal and glass building with sprawling lawns, playgrounds and fountains replaced the earlier buildings. Opposite the school building was built Colonel Shah Hostel with its own lawns and football field with an outdoor movie screen. The high school for the girls was built near the rulers' palace, The Faiz Mahal. Education was absolutely free. The benevolent, generous rulers of Khairpur Mir's paid in full. Hundreds of thousands of students benefited from these fountains of learning. Spread over a hundred acres of land, the vast complex of Naz High School, Khairpur, can be viewed on Google Maps, satellite images. It is the largest building in the town. The school produced some of the biggest names in the country's politics; former Chief Minister of Sindh and former Defence Minister of Pakistan, Syed Ghous Ali Shah, current Chief Minister of Sindh, Syed Qaim Ali Shah and prominent professionals like doctors, lawyers and engineers.Official web site of Shah Abdul Latif University
A Forest Fit for a Prince
His Highness Mir Ali Murad Khan Talpur II